Friday, December 7, 2007

So Talk About Expanding Your Horizons...

I just finished reading The Eye of the World, by Robert Jordan--the first book in the Wheel of Time series. Not something I thought I'd ever read, let's be honest. But the story is that Mike had just finished a book and needed something else to read, so I gave him The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen, and when I did he thought hey! I'll give you a book to read too! He gave me two, actually, the other one Eragon by Christopher Paolini. I'm sure I'll get around to that one sometime but it's not really on my top list right now. So anyway, The Eye of the World. Surprisingly good. Granted, I did have to learn to ignore a lot of little things that normally annoy the crap out of me, and just keep an open mind about different styles of writing and all that. And there were a couple things that never quite stopped irritating me (like they way they use the word "light," for example, as both an expletive and a prayer). But the book was actually really good, and I like it enough that I'm starting the second one now, The Great Hunt. I'm excited because both Megan and Mike say they remember this one being amazing, and hey, amazing is always good. I told Mike from the beginning that I am making no commitments past the first three, because--well, really. The series is eleven GINORMOUS books long and the writer died without writing the twelfth and final book, so I actually picked quite a lame time to get into the series. I like them, though, so I'm afraid that I'll read the first three and want to keep going. I guess we'll see how that turns out. I may be setting myself up for a looooot of reading and reading with no fulfillment at the end. Meh. What're you gonna do?

In other news, I am finally reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass. I was at Borders with Mike and saw a display with some really cool looking books, and this one was one of them. I've been meaning to read Lewis Carroll for a long time now, actually, and these were such a unique series that I figured it was a sign that it was about time for me to get the book and start reading. I already finished Alice in Wonderland in like a day--it's very quick reading, and only 102 pages long--and now I'm starting into the second one. Good times, and also Lewis Carroll was a very interesting man. :)

1 comment:

Lin said...

i loved Alice's Adventures... when I was younger and have been meaning to read both books again as I'm sure there is stuff in there that I will appreciate more now that I have a better understanding of the world in general (as opposed to my understanding of the world when I was 9, when i read those books). that was a long sentence.

i don't think my mind is open enough at this point to read the others, but maybe someday.

and now i want to go to B&N.

 
Designed by Lena