Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Facelift

I agree with Miri. We got distracted this summer from sharing our happy reading times. In an effort to revitalize our efforts I have finally picked a layout for the blog. I really think this one is it. I may mess with the colors, but the widgets and the ability to quickly post something new are back again and I am a happy camper - give me your input via poll answer.

I will also be adding stuff on the side bar again - book lists, more author blogs (pass them along in the comments if you have the links!), photos, etc. I thought it might be fun to add photos of ourselves doing something bookish (ie: reading) to put with our names and individual blogs. So, I will be bugging you about this...send me a photo! I'll take one soon to get things started.

In the meantime, if you take one, email it to me at lilifin.dilifsi (at) gmail (dot) com and I will add it quick like a bunny.

I think we need to pick a book and a date to discuss. We can make it in a month (end of September) or in two months - depending on everyone's schedule with school and work. I'm totally flexible. OR we can finish reading whatever we are working on at the moment and each discuss them individually but at the same time (if that makes sense). Maybe Sunday afternoon/evenings? Maybe Tuesday nights? Obviously we will have to work around schedules again, but we can all blog or even instant message our discussions.

If we want to get really into things (now that Megan has a Mac) those of us with cameras can video chat (I think skype and msn have free services) a discussion. Miri, do you have a camera/mic on your computer? If not, then we'll obviously think of something else.

Anyway, these are my ideas. I'm currently reading The Book Thief, which I know Megan and Miri have both read.

Oh, my other idea is to get someone new invited - but we can try for that after our first trial run.

Alright, give me some input.

7 comments:

laurenthequeen said...

Picking a book would be helpful, especially because I'm usually at least a month behind you guys. Mostly because I read the posts here and then read the book.

Miri said...

I've actually thought about asking Mike to join, what do you think? He and I always discuss our books anyway and suggest things for each other. I think he'd like it. And I think he'd like it even more if it wasn't just my idea. :)
I like the idea of everyone reading the same book, or reading a book within a specific genre. (P.S. Lin I actually haven't read The Book Thief, I planned on it but still haven't gotten to it.)
And no, I don't have a camera, so that wouldn't work for my end. I think it might be pretty difficult to coordinate a live discussion, actually, with all of us in our different places. Could we do emails, or everyone post their thoughts on the same day, or something like that?

Miri said...

Also I can't see the layout, I think it might be a problem with this computer because the same thing is happening with Christine and Tyler's blog. I just see a background and none of the words even show up unless I highlight them. I'll try getting my lappy to the library or something tomorrow and see what happens.

Lin said...

miri, i've asked mike to join before i think in some random comment on his blog - i think. haha. but yeah, i think he would be a good edition - i like his thoughts on books.

keep me posted on the viewing part - the layout is cool.

i will try to figure out some communication options and make a poll i guess to see what the favorite is.

Miri said...

k i can see the layout now. i like it, but actually i liked the previous one better. i do like this one too, though, so if everyone likes it then it's fine. :) :)

Lin said...

so miri belongs to one of the "meh"s. hmph. i'm mostly going to keep it for the use of widgets, etc. ease of use over awesomeness of design i think.

Amy said...

I like the blog layout, but I'm having trouble seeing the text unless I highlight it (like Miri). Is it just me?

I like the idea of reading the same book and discussing it on the same day via posts. I wouldn't be opposed to doing it live, but I'm worried my kids would interrupt me, or that it would be too late for you East Coasters by the time I was available.

Did you choose a book already? I'm in the middle of one for our neighborhood book club, but I can read another in addition. Let me know!

 
Designed by Lena