Sunday, March 30, 2008

Character Flaw

Since Baby Bear was born, I've had a lot more time to read. Thanks to Lin and the library, I've found some great books... Libba Bray's series, Austenland, Goose Girl, Enna Burning. Most of which are young adult books, which isn't a big deal to me. They are easy to read, clean and enjoyable. But I'm noticing a common character flaw that is beginning to really annoy me.

In most of these books the main character is supposed to be an independent, strong-minded female - which is great. So why is it that they all come to a point where they are presented with a problem and spend a good part of the book avoiding friends and family or lying about issue? Is this the only way to introduce conflict in YA literature? Do we really want our teenage girls to think that this is the only way to handle a problem? And why does being independent mean you can't trust the people who love you? I don't get it...

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena