Monday, February 22, 2010

March

Finished March, by Geraldine Brooks, in my Award-Winners category (it won the Pultizer in 2006). In other news, I think this book was given to me by Sam and Jennie for my birthday one year while we still lived at Glenwood.
But I digress. It was a pretty intense book, and I would have liked it a lot if the protagonist hadn't been the father from Little Women. I had very mixed feelings about him and ended up not liking him all that much, which was a little sad because of how I love Little Women. But judging it independently, it's an amazing, heartbreaking book; one of those horrible war books that just makes you wonder how anyone can ever live through such a thing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree! I loved the story and the depictions, I just wish that it hadn't been entwined with the man who is idolized, although somewhat absent, from the Little Women story. Of course, how do you make a realistic personage out of the man on a pedistal that Jo created for us?

mkgs said...

It's true, Sam. He was pretty disappointing as a character... but like I said in the post I just wrote on my blog, he's actually so different from what I always pictured that I don't really connect him with the real Mr. March, so I don't think it'll bother me when I read or watch Little Women. (The way they did Marmee was weird, too, and somehow she seemed WAY younger in March than in Little Women. But I liked her and really felt for her.)

 
Designed by Lena