Monday, February 15, 2010

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

 So in idea form, this book is hilarious. It's even funny for the first 100 pages or so. But then I got stuck - for 5 months.
The problem is that the zombie parts just aren't written that well and aren't incorporated well either. I know that they made a big deal about it being 85% Jane Austen, but maybe it shouldn't have been. What it mostly did was remind me how good Jane Austen was and how not good this other guy is. While it was funny to have the final confrontation between Elizabeth and Lady Catherine be an actual fight, and while it was funny to have Charlotte's reason for marrying Mr. Collins be that she had been infected by zombies, overall it wasn't well-crafted enough to really pull it off. I've read better spoofs and better serious zombie books. (Serious zombie books - does that work? Either way, World War Z put all of the zombie action in this to shame.)
It was also disappointing because I'd read some really good reviews and knew some people who really liked it. I was sad to come away being so unimpressed. It honestly wasn't any kind of self-righteous indignation about the desecration of Jane Austen either. It was just a big meh for me.
So yeah. A for effort, C for execution.

On the bright side, it wasn't Mr. Darcy, Vampyre, which I saw in the book store the other day and which made me throw up a little in my mouth.

1 comment:

Lin said...

I have seen that Mr. Darcy, Vampyre book several times while at the book store and it also makes me want to throw up a little.

I'm trying to decide if I still want to read P&P&Z this year or wait till next...I haven't started it before now bc I was worried it would take months to get through. hmfph

 
Designed by Lena