Wednesday, January 6, 2010

More potentials

I'm going to organize these later when I've decided for sure what my categories are going to be, but for now I need to get them down so I don't forget.

Additions to my reading list based on a conversation I just had with Elise Crane:

Dante's Inferno - it's just inexcusable that I've never read this.
Erasmus, "Praise of Folly," translated by Robert M. Adams.

I'll also finally finish Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and one of my nonfictions (or one of the things that has been on my shelf forever) has to be Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain. Which kind of makes me want to do 10 WWI-related books - Jacob's Room, Goodbye to All That, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom Tender is the Night, All Quiet on the Western Front . . . it has a lot of potential to be awesome.

Animal Farm - I enjoyed my first Orwell, and this one is much shorter.

For nonfiction (which I am really excited about) I want to try something by Bill Bryson - A Short History of Nearly Everything, Bryson's African Diary, I'm a Stranger Here Myself. There's also an Erik Larson I've been meaning to read called Isaac's Storm. (I almost have my nonfiction section filled out already. If I throw in one of the Shakespeare books on my shelf I'll be golden!) There are a few NPR writers I kind of want to check out as well, namely AJ Jacobs and David Sedaris. I'll be looking into some of their books to see what I want to read.

I have Crime and Punishment on Audiobook, so that's probably how I'll finally finish that one. I also have a great audiobook of A Clockwork Orange, which will either go in my "things I don't normally read" or "recommended" category, because I'm probably not going to watch the movie. The clips on AFI freak me out. (Audiobooks aren't cheating, right? Because I think that's how I'm going to make it work with some of the longer ones. I have 1776 and Atlas Shrugged (abridged - there is no way I will ever care enough to get all the way through that book) as well.)  

Also for recommended: Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner (or whatever Stegner Katherine was just reading) and Seven Gothic Tales by Isak Dinesen. I'll be raiding Ann's shelf for sure.

It occurs to me that I run a book club, so if books don't fit into any of the categories, I may have to form a book club category. Hmm.

I just noticed that Miri has Norman Mailer on her list - I have The Castle in the Forest on my shelf and am excited to read it (I think it's about a Nazi?) so that might go into one of my categories. I also want to read Middlemarch, but we'll see how many big long books I get through after the Tolstoy.

I'll be adding to this post I'm sure, but I had to get down the right translation of Erasmus from Elise before it got lost in my facebook inbox.

1 comment:

mkgs said...

Audiobooks absolutely count! I don't have any of mine on audio yet, but if I find them it's very possible that I'll do them that way.

 
Designed by Lena