Friday, January 15, 2010

Reading List: Updated

Okay. First of all, technically one of the rules of this challenge is that you are allowed to overlap between categories (I think the rule was up to 9 books may overlap, which for our purposes would be adapted to 10). I mention this because some of the books I own but haven't read also fit into the books I can't believe I've never read category; in the interest of making this challenge actually a challenge, I'm not going to let myself do any overlaps (if you'll remember, one of my original concerns about this was that the total number of books comes to 100, which is fewer than I read this year). All right. End of disclaimer, on to lists.

Books I own but haven't read:
  1. Villette, Charlotte Bronte
  2. Slaughterhouse-Five, Kurt Vonnegut
  3. All Quiet on the Western Front, Erich Maria Remarque
  4. The Voyage Out, Virginia Woolf
  5. The Divine Comedy, Dante Alighieri
  6. Jude the Obscure, Thomas Hardy
  7. The Winds of War, Herman Wouk
  8. Main Street, Sinclair Lewis
  9. Howard's End, E.M. Forster
Adult fiction:
  1. *The Gathering Storm, Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson
  2. possibly one of the Dresden files, by Jim Butcher
  3. The Lacuna, Barbara Kingsolver
  4. Dandelion Wine, Ray Bradbury
  5. Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen
  6. The Alchemist, Paolo Coelho
  7. Serena, Ron Rash
  8. The Postmistress, Sarah Blake
Recommended
  1. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Jonathan Safran Foer (Megan)
  2. Mistborn, Brandon Sanderson (Mike)
  3. *Abarat, Clive Barker (Joseph)
  4. *The Alchemyst, Michael Scott (Nathalie)
  5. The Lost Symbol, Dan Brown (Dan)
I can't believe I've never read this...
  1. Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte
  2. A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens
  3. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, Mildred C. Taylor
  4. The Outsiders, S.E. Hinton
  5. The Color Purple, Alice Walker
  6. The Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis
  7. Great Expectations, Charles Dickens
  8. A Separate Peace, John Knowles
Unfinished Business
  1. The Glass Castle, Jeanette Wells
  2. Crime and Punishment, Fyodor Dostoevsky
  3. The Rise of Silas Lapham, William Dean Howells
Authors I've never read
  1. Neil Gaiman
  2. Norman Mailer
  3. Cormac McCarthy
  4. Ken Follett
  5. John Milton
Award Winners
  1. The Good Earth, Pearl S. Buck
  2. March, Geraldine Brooks
  3. The Road, Cormac McCarthy
  4. Interpreter of Maladies, Jhumpa Lahiri
  5. Ironweed, William Kennedy
  6. A Confederacy of Dunces, John Kennedy Toole
Foreign
  1. The Bonesetter's Daughter, Amy Tan
  2. Pandora in the Congo, Albert Sanchez Pinol
  3. Arrow of God, Chinua Achebe
  4. The God of Small Things, Arundhati Roy
Self-Improvement
  1. *Forced to be Family, Cheryl Dellasega
  2. Feelings Buried Alive Never Die, Karol Truman
  3. The Four Agreements Companion, Miquel Ruiz

4 comments:

Lin said...

I love how our tastes overlap so much. I think I have a Neil Gaiman on my list for the movie category (Coraline I think?). I've never read his stuff, but I'm excited to. Also, I realized just how many books on my shelf I haven't read. I won't have to hit the library or bookstore till March at least! haha.

Unknown said...

Jane Eyre - totally in love with Mr Rochester. If you put this one in your movie list, then watch the William Hurt adaptation. I love it! The Lost Symbol was okay, but I'd definitely recommend Angels & Demons more. I really liked the Outsiders and Roll of Thunder. I also haven't read Grapes of Wrath and it may end up in my classics or own but not yet read list. I really liked Les Mis, but it was tough to get through the whole thing. I bought a copy that came in two parts so it didn't seem as daunting because it was two smaller books. Plus I liked March. It was a very interesting view on Little Women. Also, if you like companion books (or whatever it is that they're called when they're the same characters and plot but from a different point of view) I highly recommend Rhett Butler's People by Daniel McCaig. Also the Fitzwilliam Darcy books by Pamela Aiden. There are three and I liked seeing Pride & Prejudice from a male perspective. It was interesting.

Unknown said...

Oh, and I agree with the not overlapping.

mkgs said...

Why do you suppose the numbers aren't showing up? I have those lists numbered, and it indented them, but I wanted the numbers so I can keep track of how many I have in each list.

 
Designed by Lena